Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Friday 10 January 2014

Harati Tibetan Incense




This, for me, is one of the finest Tibetan incenses. There is a sweet, almost dreamy fragrance with warm notes of honey and coconut along with more earthy material, quite herbal and grassy. It can be a little drying and demanding, especially if burned for too long, but burnt in small doses this is a very attractive incense. It would be toward the top of everyday incense, except this is not an incense that I would burn every day, so is grouped in spiritual/ritual incense, where it is second place after Ambica Pooja Sambrani.


Date: Sept 2019   Score: 35




I kind of like these, and when I rated them in 2014 I was quite enthusiastic, but they are a little rough. Some folks say that Tibetan incense is "earthy", I say "rough", but it all amounts to the same thing: there is a smoky intensity and an organic directness that overshadows any fragrance qualities, and does not generate positive or relaxing moods. There is coconut here, but it is not a sweet yummy coconut, it is a coconut that is part of a somewhat sharp, almost acrid smoke that is inclined to sting the eyes and bring on headaches. I don't think I have yet encountered a Tibetan incense that I would classify as a heavenly scent.

Date: March 2017   Score:  25






Pack of around 26 dhoop sticks, about five inches long - which is a decent size: easy to handle and store, yet long enough to give a good value burn. I got these for £3.99 from my local shop - though they can be bought for £2.50 online at  shamaniclifestyle.com  or tradewindsorientalshop.co.uk, or a pack of three for £6.99 from eBay. The best deal is from one of my favourite sources -justaromatherapy.co.uk, who do it for £2.20, and have a wide range of other Tibetan sticks.

The sticks are by Sumati Padma, who also make Sumati Padma Tibetan Incense - very cheap and cheerful incense; a little crude, but quite enjoyable. This Harati is way better quality. A much more refined aroma - very pleasant and fresh and natural, inclining toward dried grass and, well, dried grass (or cannabis). On burning there are distinct sweet notes of coconut. Lovely. My only complaint is that the smoke can be a little dry and intense in small spaces, so this is an incense that is better used in large rooms - or spaces which are well ventilated.

Date: Jan 2014  Score: 33



Himalayan incense
Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: