Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 7 January 2018

Hari Om Sambrani




Since reviewing this in January I have been exploring benzoin a little more. I have burned some sambrani cups, which are the latest trend in India, and just starting to creep into the UK and America, and I have been burning benzoin resin in my electric burner.  And I have been learning a bit more about the ritual/spiritual/religious aspect of incense burning. After a discussion on the FaceBook group Incense Corner I became aware that ritual incense is not burned for the aesthetic quality of the scent, but for the healing or spiritual qualities. A pleasing scent is secondary to the cleansing or enriching nature of the incense smoke.

While there are some pleasing aspects to this incense, it is primarily intended to be a convenient way of burning benzoin and of providing the cleansing power of the resin which can ward off negative energies. In India sambrani/benzoin is burned frequently - it is the most common ritual incense, and is used for a variety of purposes, including fragrancing and drying the hair, and helping babies sleep.

I am less keen on this scent this time round, especially after experiencing other sambrani scents. It's a bit neutral and mineral, and tends to be a little too smoky and harsh for aesthetic use.  As a sambrani substitute, providing a similar scent in a convenient low cost way, it has its uses, but for non-ritual use I find the scent not that pleasing.

Date: July 2018   Score: 30 




A machine extruded, perfume-dipped incense from Hari Om, which appears to be in the Divine Incense line, but is tagged instead as "Loban Incense". My understanding of loban and benzoin, is that they are the same thing - the resin from the storax or snowbell tree. It reminds me a little of Ambica Pooja Sambrani, there is some rich pine resin which is close to petrol fumes, a little bit of prickly lavender, underscored by a hint of musk and sandalwood. It's a bloody good aroma. It got me to dig out my Ambica Sambrani to remind me of what that was like, and I have to say I liked the Ambica more than this Hari Om because the Ambica is way more intense and natural, but both are scents that intrigue and excite me, so I am keen to explore benzoin / loban / sambrani a little more.

Date: Jan 2018  Score: 35

Hari Om Fragrance


Spiritual/Ritual Incense


Top Ten 
Perfume-Dipped Incense

2 comments:

  1. Try maya supreme masala incense sticks..the best incense you will find now in the incense industry..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look into them, but unfortunately not for some time as I have a large backlog of incense samples to get through. As soon as I get on top of things I will take a look at the incense you mention.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: