Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Monday 13 April 2020

HEM Anubhuti





A sample of another HEM incense. Ho hum. I'm not anti-HEM as some people are, as some of the perfumed incense work for me, but they are not a brand that excites either. Anyway, as I open up the sample packet my first thought is that there is only one stick inside, yet when I'm sent samples there's usually at least two, and often more. Only Gokula have send me single samples, and that's because they are masala incense. And then as I pull the stick out of the inner sleeve I notice first that the smell is really nice - a natural scent, informed by vanilla and spices, and then that, gosh this is a masala stick. Natural incense, as the Indians say. This is the first ever masala incense I've had from HEM. Interesting. A little while ago I encountered a masala/natural incense from another producer who is widely known in the West just for perfumed incense, and that was Tulasi's Vidwan, so this is not the only mainstream perfumed incense manufacturer who also deals in masala.

Anyway, shortly after lighting it up I notice that it contain halmaddi. Not a huge amount, just a little. And I like that. I am particularly sensitive to halmaddi - it tends to scratch the back of my throat, and sometimes worse, but just a little is fine. Personally I would prefer not to encounter any halmaddi in an incense, but there you go.....

This is a very pleasant incense, and though it never quite lifts, it gently informs the room and leaves a very clean and pleasant aroma hinting of musk and patchouli along with that initial vanilla. Yep. Decent stuff.

Anubhuti is Hindu for the general feeling or impression you have of someone or something. It is your emotion or psychic or physical response rather than scientific or rationale.

Date: April 2020   Score:  35

***


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: