Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 19 February 2017

Goloka Nature's Lavender




This is beautiful - sandalwood, citrus, warm wool, violets, lavender, fresh herbs. It's like walking through Provence on a late summer evening. This is herby yet sweet, like jam or candy. It's cleansing, relaxing, peaceful and soulful. I could burn this any time as it is such a gorgeous and flexible scent.  It's lively enough for the morning, fresh and cleansing enough to liven up the house at any time when its feeling jaded, sophisticated enough to welcome guests, has that exotic Mediterranean feel to waft you away in the evening or when you are feeling meditative or just melancholy, and it has a hint of sexuality to liven up your night life.

A fascinating and very yummy scent. This is now one of my favourites.

Date: Feb 2017  Score: 45





Sweet and jammy with some burnt notes like overcooked sugar. This starts off  burning a bit hot and not working well, and I'm not liking it, but then it gets past that, and settles down into the gentle and subtle notes I remarked on when I reviewed it last year. There's so much going on - there's a bit of spice, a bit of wood, some fruit, some honey, some herbs..... To be fair, there's not much in the way of lavender, and it does tend to wander around a bit. I will come back to this later as I have ordered a fresh batch of the whole series of Golaka's Nature from this seller on Amazon UK, and I intend to review the entire series a little later in the  year. For now, though, I am lowering the score on this. Not dropping it out of my Heavenly Incense collection, but certainly down to the bottom of that set.

Date: July 2018   Score: 40


 



I go into the kitchen to do some cooking. I like to have a bit of incense burning as I cook, and I grab a pack at random. It's Goloka's Lavender, and it reminds me just how good Goloka are. I haven't burned Goloka for a while, I've been trying out a variety of companies new to me, like Shroff, Prabhuji's GiftsCottage Industries, BluePearl, etc, and there hasn't been much space and time for old favourites. But burning this reminded me of just why I like Goloka. So I sit down to do an update review. 

The stick is a fragrant moist charcoal paste hand-rolled onto a machine cut and purple dyed bamboo splint, and then rolled into a finishing wood powder to prevent the sticks from sticking together. The scent on the stick is sweet, floral, fresh, outdoorsy, and definitely lavender.  Quite adorable. 

The burn is a little hot. There is a moderate amount of paste on the splint, but perhaps a little more would benefit the overall experience. However, it's a small quibble, because the scent is divine. Woody, floral, distinctly lavender, though less sweet on the burn, more woodsy and musky and delving into the deeper lavender notes. There's creamy sandalwood to support the floral. Oh gosh, this is what incense is all about. Great stuff. Moved back up to where it belongs. 


Date: Feb 2022   Score: 45 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: