Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Wednesday 17 May 2017

Nippon Kodo Morning Star Cedarwood

 


After reviewing the Shoyeido Magnifiscents Gems/Jewels Sampler recently, I thought it would be interesting to revisit some Japanese incense I'd already reviewed.  I've not yet really warmed to Japanese incense finding it a little dry and sombre, and also somewhat expensive compared to other incenses. I don't dislike it, I generally find it decent quality and worthy, but as yet it hasn't really transported me as some other incenses can and do. 

This Cedarwood is a little old now. I really don't burn it much, and this is the same pack I had back in 2017. I find that natural, masala or dhoop type incense - that is incense that doesn't rely on fragrant oils or perfumes, keeps its fragrance and quality over the years, while incenses that rely on oils and perfumes tend to fade. And there are some enthusiasts who feel that masala or dhoop incense can improve with age.  I find it softer, more mellow than 2017, but not much better. 

There are woody notes and some spice, leaning toward curry, or at least something quite savoury rather than sweet. It's quite soft and unassuming, though not shy, as the scent does gently inform the room.  It's OK, but not something that grabs my interest or moves me in any way. On the whole I find this to be a modest or everyday incense, though fairly decent, so top end of everyday. 

Date: Feb 2023   Score: 28 






Sometimes what I fancy is some woody, serious incense. Something a bit dark and sombre, outdoorsy, a little masculine. Cedarwood is the sort of thing. I've burned a few One Aromatics Cedarwood recently, and find I quite like them when a sombre, woodsy sort of scent is called for.  I was burning one recently, and recalled a couple of other cedarwood incense I had, and dug them out. One is Sifcon Cinnamon Cedarwood, which is remarkably similar, though in our household we felt the Sifcon to be the more woodsy. However, the girls preferred the One Aromatics as it was more smoky and friendly.   We also compared  Nippon Morning Star Cedarwood, something I hadn't been that kind to when I first reviewed it,  and found it to be a remarkably pleasant scent, if not exactly cedarwood or even that woodsy - there is wood present, but there's also oranges and tea, and seaweed and jasmine. I am more inclined to the Morning Star than on previous visits, but not necessarily as a cedarwood scent.  All in all I'm moving One Aromatics Cedarwood up out of the top end of the Everyday Incense group to just nudge into our Decent Stuff group, while moving the  Sifcon Cinnamon Cedarwood down into the middle of the Decent Stuff group as when comparing it to other cedarwood incense I think I've been a little over generous in the past. And moving this rather interesting Morning Star firmly into the Decent Stuff group.

Date: June 2018  Score: 32





Slightly sweet cedarwood scent with hints of seaweed, fresh mushroom and patchouli - or, perhaps more accurately, cannabis resin. Interesting mineral and savoury quality to this - I'm not sure how pleasant I find it, but it is certainly intriguing. Hmm, there's even a hint of tomato ketchup - how odd! This dried paste method of making incense is older than the Indian rolled stick method. This was the method that the Japanese took from China who had taken it from India, but then India discovered the method of rolling the paste onto a bamboo stick, and that quickly gained favour - so much so that there are few dry paste sticks made in India any more - the Panchaveti that I adore being one of them.

This is quite nice, but its not heavenly.  It's OK. A little crude, with some off notes, but quite interesting. It comes complete with a little clay stand to hold one stick at a time, and the sticks are rolled inside a piece of paper giving a little information about the other fragrances Nippon do.


Date: May 2017   Score: 25

***



A cedarwood sampling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: