Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Tuesday 25 July 2017

The Scenter Tree Resin Frankincense




Bought from the UK online store TheScenter about a year or two ago. I thought I would review this now, along with two other resins from that store, as yesterday I was burning HEM Frankincense-Myrrh and thought it would be interesting to do a side by side comparison.  At the same time I thought I would try out a new burner I had bought. I then made a mistake: I chucked the incense straight into the new burner, without first allowing it to burn off the manufacturing oils. Smoky and oily and soapy notes. OK. So after allowing the resin to burn away, and leaving the burner on for long enough to bed in, I tried again. But this still wasn't the smell I got when I burned the resin after first getting it. I then warmed up my other burner, and tried some resin in there. I noticed something interesting. My new burner heats up quicker and to a higher temperature than my original. My original burns more slowly and gently. Useful information! Anyway, again, not quite the scent I remembered. As with the other burner, a bit smoky and oddly soapy.

Lots of smoke
Then I wondered what would happen if I burned the resin in a charcoal disc, as I had originally.  Hmmmm. Again, smoky and a bit soapy. So, it's not the burners, but the resin itself. Perhaps something has happened to my resin since I bought it.  It smells great in the packet, but not so great when burned.  I am a little deflated.  I have now burned my myrrh and amber, which gave me so much delight when I first got them, to see what they are like; but they also are not performing as they once did.  So I have now ordered some fresh, in order to compare, and will report again when I have burned them.

Score: 19

Frankincense

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: