Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 1 December 2019

Nandita Organic Patchouli




I like Nandita, and I like patchouli so I am inclined to like this. But I have an issue with the claim to be organic and "ozone friendly". This feels like a claim created to make Westerners buy the incense without giving serious regard to what is being said. The incense stick is composed largely of charcoal, which does harm the ozone layer. Goloka use roasted coconut shells in place of charcoal so it is possible. But what is used here is definitely charcoal - and cheap charcoal at that - you can smell it when it is burned, and if you crush it beneath your fingers it stains.  I am used to manufacturers of all sorts making extravagant claims for their products, but this one is a little underhand as it relates to damaging the planet. Be honest when it comes to stuff like that.

OK. This is a little sharp and cheap smelling - as I say, the smell of the charcoal base intrudes.  I had another of the company's "organic" range a few years ago - their Organic Nag Champa, and I wasn't impressed with that either. This is thin, prickly, sharp and not very satisfying. There isn't the sweet, slightly musky warmth I associate with patchouli.

Date: Dec 2019   Score: 27
***

Nandita of Mumbai


Patchouli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: