Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Friday 14 July 2023

Tulasi Nag Champa & Arruda Incense Sticks

 


I started reviewing this over a fortnight ago, and then got bogged down. This range has confused me, and I think I have been somewhat mean on the scores of all bar the first one, mainly because the secondary scent does not make itself felt on the burn. Ignoring that consideration, the sticks are actually decent quality masala, and are very fine examples of Nag Champa - a scent that is a blend of  floral champaca (magnolia) and woody sandalwood. It is a heady and successful combination that is hugely popular in the West. 

Combining the Nag Champa scent with various other scents is an interesting and appealing idea, though I'm not convinced, at least in this series, that it has worked. This may be because the additional scents, as here, appear to be from a fragrant oil or perfume. My assumption (and this is only a guess, I may be wrong), is that Tulasi add a different perfume to the finished Nag Champa sticks. This perfume, because of its natural volatility, is noticeable on the stick, but because it was added to the surface of the finished stick gets evaporated too quickly during the burn to make itself known against the dominance of the masala ingredients.  

The Arruda aspect of the incense is the herb Ruta graveolens,  which is used both as an ornamental plant and as a flavouring in cooking, despite it being toxic. This Arruda has a sage like quality - fresh, dusty, clean, slightly bitter, with faintly orange notes. It's very pleasant, and makes itself noticeable on the stick where it has been applied as a fragrant oil. My problem with this stick, as it is with the other sticks in the range (apart from the Tulasi Nag Champa - which does not have an additional scent) is that on the burn the additional scent, in this case the Arruda, does not appreciably make itself felt.  

On the plus side, this is a very pleasing Nag Champa scent. I could be convinced there's a touch of orange mixed in with the generic Nag Champa.  I intend at some point doing a comparison of the whole series. Meanwhile, I'm marking this, and all the other Nag Champa Delights, as 35 - midway in my "Enjoyable, decent quality scents" ranking. 


The full range of Nag Champa Delights


Date: July 2023   Score: 35

I am going to revisit all the Tulasi Nag Champa Delights.  

***

More Tulasi reviews



5 comments:

  1. Your description of Rue is interesting, I would not have thought aobut comparing it with sage.
    Are you refering to the essential oil or to the raw plant material here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My assumption is that all the additional fragrances in this Delights series are from fragrant oils or perfumes. So the Arruda or Rue scent, which is only really noticeable on the stick, and is barely there on the burn, would be from an oil. You're right, though, I have not made that clear, and shall do so now.

      Delete
    2. I was just wondering if you are familiar with the scent of the EO or the herb - or both?
      I only know the herb, it grows in our garden. I read descriptions of the oil but they sound very different to how the (burning) herb smells.
      To me, it is bitter and sweet and it has kind of a foody quality, it reminds me of coconut curry.

      Delete
    3. I am not familiar with rue in either form. I am, though, familiar with sage and, apart from the orange note, I found the scent of the rue perfume to be similar to that of non burning sage.

      Delete
    4. Ahh, thank you. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment: