Incense In The Wind

Burner Burner - Carhartt jacket incense burner

Wednesday 4 September 2024

Amritha Gia

 


I've burned more of the Amritha Gia than I have of the other scents in the Amritha range. Not necessarily because it's the one I like the most (and it is), but because I've not had much time over the past week or so to sit down and write something, so I just keep lighting it up because it's on my desk. We actually have incense boxes scattered all over the house for various purposes - mostly to freshen up certain areas, like the outhouse, the kitchen, the bathroom, etc. Incense in the front room and the bedroom is generally the good stuff, while incense on my desk is incense I'm currently exploring or revisiting. 

As with all the Amritha incense I've tried, this is a machine-extruded stick. It's professionally made. A tight and even paste that holds well, and burns slowly and evenly. Amritha packs generally contain 30 sticks which burn for well over an hour each, and in the UK can be bought for 99p each. Gia appears to be the company's flagship brand. It sells for the same price as the rest of the Amritha range, though each pack only contains 18 sticks. It can be bought in various UK online Asian shops, such as AllBhavan, for 99p

The scent on the stick is lovely. Floral and resin. Some benzoin - woody vanilla. Some honey. Gentle warm woody spice. Some shoe polish. Hints of chocolate. It's not the most fascinating or complex of scents, but is engaging and beguiling. It's familiar enough to be homely and comfortable, yet different enough to catch and hold attention and interest. This is the first time I've actually paid attention to the scent on the stick. Indeed, this is the first time I've really stopped to engage with the scent at all. So far I've just been lighting a stick, and then getting on with something, and just being casually aware of a pleasant scent. 

The scent on the burn is satisfyingly like the scent on the stick, though richer and warmer and sexier and more musky and fruity. This is not a heady, slap you in the face Indian-style scent. This is a more subtle and engaging scent that gently diffuses around the room and informs the place with soft, warm fragrance. I like the way that it hovers around floral and fruit and wood and musk. There's notes of fruity oudh here. Rich plummy fragrant oudh. Plum jam on buttery agarwood. This is great stuff. I really like this. I do like incense that is different, that is unique, that follows its own path. Sometimes a generic single scent incense can be impressive, but that's kinda rare. Most great single scent incenses (or, rather, most single scent incenses that I really like) tend to be unique - they follow their own path and do something different. 

The florals settle into rose lightly supported by lotus, with sprinkles of tangerine citrus brightening the plummy jam. I like the way the scent keeps shifting. It reminds me of
Pascal Morabito's Gold Edition Oud, which I tend to spray on our bedroom sheets and pillows.  

I really like this incense. 


Date: Sept 2024   Score: 43 
***



1 comment:

Please leave a comment: