Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Saturday 15 September 2018

Veer Green Forest




Regular readers may have noticed that my mouse has changed. I have mislaid the wooden one. It was "tidied up" during the summer as we had several guests staying over, and I can't seem to "untidy" it. So I am using the woollen one until the wooden one turns up, or I give up looking/waiting, and buy a new one.

It has been a hectic summer here, and I've had little time for my incense blog. Indeed, little time for incense in general. A while ago I mentioned that I was making plans to start selling incense. My intention is to import incense rather than just buy incense from the UK wholesalers, though I did buy some incense from a wholesaler, just to get started, while waiting for imports to arrive. Well, some of the imports have arrived, but I still haven't organised myself to set up sales on eBay, even of the batch I bought in the UK. So, I now have a bedroom full of boxes of incense, so it's about time I started!

This Veer Green Forest is the first batch I have received from India. I didn't buy a big batch as I wanted to see how it went. Well, it was my first import, and it was Veer's first export. So we are both on a learning curve. The box was not strong, and was poorly packaged, so the goods arrived damaged. I have told Veer this, and they have taken it on board, and have offered to send me free replacements with my next order. That's very honest of them, and I shall bear it in mind if the sales go well. But I shall be looking around first, because even those boxes that arrived undamaged are not  top quality. The sides come apart where the glue is not quite holding it, and the finish is quite cheap. OK, fair enough, but of particular concern to me is the size of the boxes. They are about three times bigger than they need to be - which means I am paying extra to post them. All that would be acceptable if the incense was of top quality, but the intention was just to import some cheap everyday domestic perfumed incense, rather than masala/natural incense. Even without the damaged boxes, the intent was to sell these cheaply. As many of the boxes are damaged I will be selling them as damaged goods - so selling them at cost. It's a learning curve. I am hoping to cover my costs - I won't be making a profit, that's for sure!

Veer incense is the band name of Viral Enterprises of Valsad, run by Viral Shar. The incense is made for Viral by Shree Rang Enterprise, also in Valsad.

To be fair, when burned the incense is quite acceptable. The sticks are machine made to a decent standard - smooth and clean. There is a volatile pine fragrance on the stick - quite clean and cleansing. The incense when burned isn't overwhelming, but nor is it too weak, so it strikes a happy balance. It's not an incense to use for meditation or aromatherapy or spiritual rituals - it's simply a pleasant room freshener. It hovers gently between woody and floral - never quite moving firmly into one or the other. Pine is the predominant note, so "Green Forest" is an appropriate name.

This is an OK everyday perfumed incense.


Date: Sept 2018  Score:  28 [Score over five years old, so may not be reliable]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: