Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Thursday 23 March 2023

Cottage Industries Heritage No. 16 Amber

 



This is from Cottage Industries' Classic Heritage range. There is also an amber in the Festive Deluxe Packet range which I have reviewed

There is a sweet and attractive scent on the stick propelled by an essential oil - it is in the area I would associate with amber, though perhaps sweeter and less musky and more perfumed. Anyway, it's quite light, floral, and joyful. Quite promising, if not that interesting, engaging or exciting. 

The scent on the burn is quite gentle, laid back, subtle, soft, weak - whatever term you want to use, but essentially doesn't make itself known even when sitting close to it. I have to waft the smoke in my direction. I don't get much from the smoke. Yes, a pleasant scent, but nothing really stands out. There's no scent journey to follow, there's nothing new or interesting here, nothing interesting or challenging. Just a generally soft, pleasant mild smoke that vaguely smells of incense. There is a sense of  musk, sandalwood, floral notes, and a touch of burning green plant. It's not offensive, but neither is it delightful, interesting, or heavenly. It is what it is. People have liked this scent for over seventy years, so there's clearly stuff here I am missing. It reminds me of  Japanese incense - and that's probably the key. If someone likes soft, subtle, gentle, unassuming, undemanding, pleasant scents then I suspect they will like this. If someone likes their scents to be more hearty, fun, heady, sensual, exciting, demanding, interesting, then I suspect this is not for them. 


Date: March 2023   Score: 25 
***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: