Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Friday 17 March 2023

Thurga's (SunRayn) Paavai Vilakku Incense Sticks

  


I'm quite pleased to get this incense - it's a pleasant perfumed-charcoal incense which very much reminds me of the foil-wrapped incense that is sold in the UK under various brand names.  But that's not why I'm pleased - it's because the incense company, Thurga's Industries Sdn. Bhd (Facebook), is a Malaysian company, and this is the first incense I've had from that country. Indeed, this is the first Malaysian incense I've been aware of, let alone burn.  Malaysia is an Asian country just below Thailand, which, on the peninsula at least - which I visited with one of my daughters in order to see the 
Kampung Kuantan  fireflies and visit the Batu Caves, is part Malay, part Indian, and part Chinese. It is a mainly Muslim country, though is tolerant of other religions, so while alcohol is frowned upon, it does have a small brewery.  And incense isn't as popular in Malaysia as it is in Buddhist and Hindu  countries, though they do make beautiful Dragon Incense for the Chinese community.

I like the scent, and it tantalised me for a long while as the scent is so familiar. There's floral elements with a creamy sandalwood base. Touches of rose and jasmine and vanilla. No off notes. Burns for a long time. This has been a regular burn on my desk and around the house for the past few days, and I've almost used up the packet.  And then I got it. It reminds me of baby powder - which HEM have used as a scent, and there is also a foil-wrapped one; though it also reminds me a little of Shalimar

Yes, very likable as a bright, soft, attractive, mostly floral everyday incense.  Available in the UK from Desi Khazana for 69p. The name Paavai Vilakku refers to a popular statue of a woman holding an oil lamp, which is a symbol of wealth, good luck, and peace. The statue may also be called Deepa Lakshmi. 


Date: March 2023    Score:   33 
***





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: