Incense In The Wind

Burner Burner - Carhartt jacket incense burner

Thursday 27 April 2023

SamsaSpoon Homemade Indian Frankincense & Cardamom

 


SamsaSpoon who runs the PlumeOfSmoke blog sent us some homemade incense. I've been burning a fair bit of perfumed-charcoal and perfumed-masala incense recently, so I wanted to get back to something pure and nitty gritty. I'm glad I selected this Indian Frankincense & Cardamom. It's impressive. Best homemade stuff I've burned. Proper job incense. It reminds me of Japanese incense: these are very thin dhoop sticks (there's no bamboo core); these appear to be hand rolled, though some other method could have been used [Samsa tells me she used a fondant extruder]. They are very thin and delicate.  The stick is all dry, with no evidence of any liquid fragrance, though some essential oil could have been used. There's no aroma on the stick, so any oils would likely be a minimum. 

It burns very nicely. Consistently, slowly - no problems. The formulation works. Like Japanese incense the scent is delicate - in our house there was one complaint that it was too faint, though that was later retracted. It is, however, an incense that works best just drifting on the wind, catching you unexpectantly, like a scent on a person: an overpowering use of personal perfume can be an affront, but a subtle hint can be fascinating, attracting attention and lighting up the senses.  

It's a dry, spicy incense, which is not usually my thing (I like richness and sweetness), but I do like this a lot. It's woody, spicy, and enlivening.  I love that after it has burned the scent is there in the room for hours afterwards, and it's a good lingering scent as the best dried ingredient masala incense always is. There's no real off notes, no burning (well, fairly rarely, there's a little too much focus on smoke), no ashy nonsense. 

It's a masculine scent, and it's quite sombre, and the profile is fairly narrow, so this is not going to fly away on my favourite list, nor get a really high score, but I find it compelling, attractive, cleansing, enlivening (giving energy), and satisfying. And this is an incense I'd like to have in my house for days when what I want is something pure, cleansing, and attractive.  Without a doubt the best homemade incense I've burned, and - eventually I've come round to it: one of the best incenses I've burned, period. 



Date: April 2023    Score: 42 





6 comments:

  1. Wow I'm jealous. I've wanted to try her homemade incense for a while now. She also makes some Orange peel and cinnamon based incense that I not only want to try but also make it myself. I don't even have enough confidence to begin.
    Judging by the picture though, the sticks look perfect. You could put them in a box neatly wrapped with parchment paper and it would be indistinguishable from Japanese incense.
    Very good job Rauchfahne!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have various home made incenses that folks have sent me over the years - most I haven't posted reviews on as it wouldn't be fair. Some, which are sold, I have reviewed. Nothing as come close to how good this stuff is. And I've just read Samsa's page on how to make incense. And that is so detailed and helpful.

      Plume of Smoke: How to make incense

      For advice on making incense, I would direct everyone to Samsa's page. Brilliant.

      Delete
    2. Indeed she's also shared with me privately many tips and tricks on incense making. I must admit, as a city girl, that her knowledge and experience with nature and botany has always intimidated me and kept me from actually trying it. But I'm so eager to try what she makes. Especially after reading your review!

      Delete
    3. You are both so kind, thank you! I'm just a humble beginner, at least when it comes to incense stick making. Steve, I sent you some of the kneaded incense Silver is referring to, it's the one labled "Lebkuchen" [Gingerbread]. It has also Frankincense, Star Anise and Clove.
      I shared the recipe here: https://blog.rauchfahne.de/2022/10/11/lebkuchen-zum-raeuchern/
      I also plan to share the recipe for the Indian Frankincense & Cardamom sticks.

      Delete
  2. Hey!
    Finally, the recipe for this incense sticks is online!
    Here's the link: https://blog.rauchfahne.de/2023/07/06/indischer-weihrauch-kardamom/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: