Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Friday 29 March 2019

Prinknash Incense: Abbey blend





When I started burning resins I used charcoal discs, and I loved the aromas of the resin, but found using the discs fiddly and dirty, so I bought a burner. I liked the burner, though felt it burned a little slow, so bought another which operates at a higher temperature. I can't recall if I have enjoyed the scent of resin so much on the burners as I did on the charcoal. I do know that the last few batches of incense I have used on the burners I have not enjoyed that much. At first I thought that was done to the incense I had, either I didn't get on with it, or perhaps I had stored it too long and some of the fragrant components had evaporated.

I'm now trying out Prinknash Abbey incense. Prinknash Abbey has a good reputation for its incense. The Benedictine monks have been blending incense to their own recipe since 1906, when the community was on Caldey Island, near Tenby - they moved into Prinknash Abbey  in 1928. They claim to be the oldest and largest manufacturer of incense in Europe. This is likely to be true, as most incense in made in Asia. The German company Knox, has its cones made in India. Though there are similar resins made by the monks of Mount Athos in Greece, which are very popular in the US, and I'm not sure who has been selling resin the longest.  Here is an explanation of how the resin is blended and scented with oils.

Anyway. I'm burning this Prinknash Abbey resin in my burner. It's the blend they call Abbey, which is a blend of frankincense and essential oils. And it produces a mild scent with some awareness of frankincense, and some soft citric notes with a bit of lemon soap, and then the smoke rises, and the resin starts to blacken. Rather like the eBay resin in this guide from the founder of Legacy Icons on how he likes to burn resin on charcoal. And at this point the faint frankincense aroma fades while the soap aroma along with some scorched rubber comes to the fore. OK. Given that the blackening experience also occurs with charcoal, perhaps its not the burners that are at fault. I look back on my reviews, and in July 2017 I reviewed some frankincense resin that I'd had for a while. I note that when I had it fresh it was great, but when I tried it again after leaving it a while, it was no longer great. This Prinknash incense is also one I bought a while ago. It is a habit of mine to buy stuff I'm interested in, and then to get distracted by something else and not get around to reviewing for some months after purchase.

Hmmm. So is this my fault?  I've kept the incense in the original packaging. There is no use by warning. Hmm. Anyway. I'll set about reviewing all the resin I have got, and meanwhile purchase some fresh stuff to see how it compares (and come charcoal discs). And this time I will 100% review the resin when it arrives fresh.

Watch this space!


Date: March 2019   Score:  29



3 comments:

  1. Getting to revieeirethe resin and bakhoor type incsinc now I see finally made it through your bathroom cones! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I have some bakhoor on my desk as I type! My hesitation in burning and reviewing right now, is due to me considering should I be ordering some charcoal discs or not. I have been using the burners to burn different resins, and finding some positive results, so I'm thinking that problems I have been having with some resins is perhaps due to the resins being poor quality, and so have been supported by the use of essential oils, which - as we know - tend to evaporate over time. Resin which doesn't use essential oils does not appear to have the same problems. However, I am still hesitant, and so today I will order some discs.

    Meanwhile, I suspect that the Prinknash resins are not highest quality, so are supported by the use of essential oils, which fade; as such, Prinknash resins are best used soon after purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charcoal discs and more resin ordered. This should be fun!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: