Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Wednesday 18 January 2023

Ramakrishna's Natural Handmade Incense Sticks Kasturi Drop

 


These are very thick sticks - machine extruded from what appears to be a coconut charcoal paste on a very substantial like machine cut stick.  The stick is like a skewer. The thickness of the stick, and the weight, means it does not fit into any of my regular incense holders, and I had to plonk it in the soil in a plant pot - something I often used to do when burning joss sticks as a hippy. 

The name Kasturi means musk - but this is not at all musky. The scent on the stick is very sweet, and reminds us of a milky pudding we had in the Middle East, though the name of which escapes us. There is vanilla in the mix, plus something cool and mineral. Something a little chalky. It's a bloody gorgeous scent. We all love it. 

 

This Chinese incense burner is weighty enough to hold the
stick, though the ash will fall on my Keffiyeh.

When I burned it yesterday, I felt it was a benzoin incense. It gently filled the kitchen with a calming, cool, comforting, clean, cleansing scent - cool mineral elements that somehow create a warmth. This morning the kitchen and the rooms near to it had the cool, calm, clean feel of benzoin.  When I came to review it this evening, I looked up Kasturi, and was somewhat surprised to find it is an Indian term for musk. Yet, when looking back at some of my benzoin reviews, I sometimes mention musk. So, this evening I'm looking at this incense anew, and searching out the musk qualities. Hmmm. Yes, there is a sensual warmth - though inclining toward patchouli more than musk.  There is also the cool warmth of charcoal - or rather, coal itself. Yes - good Welsh coal. So, right now, I'm getting a blend of vanilla, benzoin, patchouli, a Welsh coal fire, fresh herbs, and a hint of musk. Ha! How much of those scents are actually there, and how much I have drifted my thoughts in that direction, I don't know. But I do know I really love this incense. 

It's a good long burn that really fills the room with scent. It doesn't overpower, and it's not smoky. Indeed, it's a really clean and enjoyable scent with no flaws. Nice one. 


Date: Jan 2023   Score:  43 
***



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: