Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Tuesday 21 February 2023

Auromere Kasturi Aspiration

 


Kasturi is deer musk - originally sourced by cutting  the musk glands off a slaughtered male deer, these days the scent is typically prepared from plants and resins such as myrrh, patchouli and lemongrass. The scent for this incense was prepared by using "the fruit of the Manjal tree". I think this refers to Indian barberry or tree turmeric (no relation to the spice turmeric), the powdered root of which has medicinal and Ayurveda properties

As with the Sandalwood by Auromere, this is a quiet, dry, subtle, gentle, and pleasing aroma.  It is a warming and uplifting scent. It does inform the room moderately, though doesn't leave much of a lingering impression by itself. There is something of Japanese incense about this. Dry, modest, gentle, pleasant, not overwhelming. It's the sort of incense which you have to approach, rather than let it come to you. You need to pay attention, otherwise it slips you by or gets dismissed.  

I've burned this a few times now, and while I like it, I find it hard to get excited about it because it is so well mannered. I kind of prefer a bit more character and energy in my incense. Not always, because there are times when something soft and reflective is appreciated, but mostly I like something that does stand up for itself and say, Here I am - enjoy me. 

I find the scent rather more woody than musky, though there is a warmth about it, and a gentle sensuality. I'd prefer it a bit sweeter. 


Date: Feb 2023    Score:  31 
***
 
Auromere Imports, USA




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: