Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Friday 3 February 2023

Nippon Kodo Morning Star Mimosa

  


After reviewing the Shoyeido Magnifiscents Gems/Jewels Sampler recently, I thought it would be interesting to revisit some Japanese incense I'd already reviewed.  I've not yet really warmed to Japanese incense finding it a little dry and sombre, and also somewhat expensive compared to other incenses. I don't dislike it, I generally find it decent quality and worthy, but as yet it hasn't really transported me as some other incenses can and do. This box, it appears, I haven't reviewed yet. Cool. Also, the fragrance is Mimosa, a scent I haven't yet reviewed (as far as I remember!). 

The Morning Star range is Nippon Kodo's "entry level" or "best selling for everyday use" incense - the small packs, such as I have with 50 small thin sticks, are around £3.50 to £4 each. The sticks come complete with a small and attractive holder (I have several of them somewhere....) and are wrapped in a sales information leaflet. neat. There isn't much of a scent on the stick, though it is vaguely neutral to pleasant, a bit like an everyday scented bar of soap. 

Mimosa is a plant in the pea family, whose flowers are sometimes used in perfumery and incense to create a powdery, honey like scent.  And the yellow mimosa gives it's name to a Bucks Fizz type cocktail.  

The scent on the burn is delicate, soft, and reasonably pleasant. It is faint sandalwood, warm and comforting, with some touches of garden bonfire, but gently, and some hints of wool and warm shoes. It's not a great scent, but is it soft and unobtrusive. It's gently pleasant, but, really, there's not a lot going for it, and like the other Nippon Kodo scents I have, it's not something I'm inclined to remember, and think - Oh, I must burn that. 

On the experiences I have had so far with several scents from the best selling entry level Morning Star,  I'm not inclined to explore the more expensive incenses by Nippon Kodo. I think they are too subtle for me. 

Date: Feb 2023    Score: 26 
***


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: