Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Monday 15 November 2021

(HMS) Primo / Gokula Connoisseur / Gaura (Super) Patchouli Incense Sticks

Second review - scroll down for earlier

This is a Haridas Madhavdas Sugandhi (HMS) stick. It has been sold by UK importer and distributor Gokula under three names: Gaura Super Patchouli, Gokula Connoisseur Patchouli, and currently Primo Patchouli.  It was previously sold in America by Exotic Incense as Primo Patchouli, and currently as Prasad Celestial Patchouli. It is (apparently) the same as Pure Incense Patchouli, and Bhagwan Patchouli

I was rather harsh on this when I reviewed it a few years ago. But revisiting it again today, I'm finding it warm, sweet, and attractive with obvious vanilla notes.  I will revisit again after exploring the Prasad and the Bhagwan patchoulis to see how I feel about it then. 


Date: March 2024  Score: 37 




First review
 This is part of the mammoth Gokula binge - an attempt to review all the samples I got from UK importer and retailer Gokula. The sample I have was part of the Gaura range, and was called Super Patchouli. It is now part of the Gokula Connoisseur and the Primo Connoisseur range, and is just called Patchouli.  All versions have the same description: "Light and airy, gently refreshing and joyfully uplifting. Simply Heavenly!" The Primo is £3.95 for 20gm, and the Gokula Connoisseur is also £3.95 for 20gm.  The sticks are made by Haridas Madhavdas Sugandhi of Pune (HMS).

Patchouli is one of my favourite scents, so I am always predisposed to any incense which has a patchouli scent.  This one is herby and very sweet - honey dripping sweet. It is "light and airy" rather than weighty with musk and sensuality, and there's something a little soapy about it. I like the sweetness and the uplifting herbal aspects of a patchouli scent, though it is generally the musky, sensual earthiness that really wins me over. I do love this on the stick, and I keep indulging myself with it before lighting. There's also moth balls and rose. A dark rose.  

On the burn, sadly, as with other older incenses, there are few of the sweet high notes. But there is a herby presence, and something quite like balsamic vinegar: sharp, cold, full of vibrancy, yet softened with sweet woody age.

I like this. While I'm not scoring it high, it has to be emphasised that this is an old sample - a fresh packet might possibly score higher. I just looked back as to when I received these Gokula samples: it was May 2013. Good grief, that is over 8 years ago! It's a credit to the incense that it still remains pleasant over all those years. 

Date: Nov 2021    Score: 30



 
***



Patchouli



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: