Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Wednesday 6 March 2024

(HMS) Bhagwan Incense Patchouli

 


I've just been revisiting a Haridas Madhavdas Sugandhi of Pune HMS patchouli incense sold by UK distributor Gokula under various names: Primo / Gokula Connoisseur / Gaura (Super) Patchouli, and looking around at the various companies who sell the same incense under different brand names. And Bhagwan is one such. I'm now wondering how to present HMS incenses. Should I put them all together under the same entry? Or do I review them as though they are stand alone incenses, but point out to people that the same stick is available under a different name from another retailer? 

I wouldn't have a separate entry for each shop I buy an incense from, though I do tend to mention and link to such shops as that is useful to me, to readers, and to the shop.  

For my own use I would like to have an entry for each brand of an incense, to make it easier to find and reference. So what I think I will do is create a main entry for the incense - such as "HMS Patchouli" - and an entry for each brand of that incense - such as Bhagwan Patchouli, though marking in brackets the actual maker, so "(HMS) Bhagwan Patchouli", and then have a redirect from each of the brands to the main entry, which will hold all the separate reviews. 

That seems the fairest and most helpful.  At the moment I will only be doing this for HMS incense, as there is no exclusive use of HMS, and their incense is easy to identify. Also, no trade secrets are being revealed. There are some sources for incense brands that I am  aware of, but which I won't reveal because I've been asked not to. And I understand and respect the commercial imperative behind not revealing a source.  

So, let's talk about this Bhagwan branded Patchouli. I will sort out the organisation of the blog posts later. 

The stick is typically Haridas Madhavdas (HMS) - a thin 6 1/2 inches of charcoal paste on an 8 inch pink dyed bamboo splint. The paste has been thinly rolled in a greenish melnoorva powder, and there's little sparkles which seem to have become common in recent HMS sticks (I haven't noted them in older sticks). The scent on the stick is perfumed - quite green in an earthy manner reminiscent of marihuana, mint, vanilla, mushrooms, damp earth. Very yummy and quite sweet, though in a delicious way, not candy, child sweet, but baklava, sexy sweet. This is warm honey, vaginal lubrication, spicy earth, green marihuana, and it's a powerful aroma when fresh. There's also dark florals, heady rose, and some camphor. Brilliant stuff. But I am very pre-disposed toward patchouli, so even everyday synthetic perfumed charcoal sticks I can find appealing. 

As expected from such a thin stick, the burn is not dramatic. The scent will grow and beautifully inform the room, but if impatient to experience the fragrance, some wafting (never advised due to health risks) will take place. I waft. The vanilla is quite upfront on the burn, and the musky elements of the patchouli come through, but not as clearly or sweetly or richly as on the stick.  This is something I find to be fairly common on perfumed incense - that is, sticks which have had the scent added to the charcoal, rather than sticks which have a masala paste into which the scents have been added before rolling, tend to have strong scents on the stick which seem to evaporate quickly during the burn. The scent on the stick is sublime. The scent on the burn is very decent and attractive, but not as sexy and disturbing as on the stick. The main notes are vanilla, mint, green herbs, musk. The complexity and sweetness on the stick is not there. Or, it's hard to find. But, this is still a damn fine burn. I like it.  

Available from Bhagwan Incense at  €4.95 for 15 gms


Date: March 2024   Score: 37 

Patchouli






4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review, Steve. We will be introducing new patchouli incense next month called Patchouli Queen. This is a thick 9 inch stick made with halmaddi and patchouli oil from Indonesia. Also please check out our Good Incense Patchouli incense I have sent you. It is made by Damodaras. P.S. We are still sending free incense samples to anyone, I am happy to include both Patchouli Queen and Good Incense Patchouli for people to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting!

      I did pull out the Good Incense Patchouli along with the sample you sent me of DBS Natural Patchouli and VNS Patchouli Neo. So they are on my desk (be patient though, you know I am a bit of a grasshopper, and I have sticks on my desk from weeks ago, that I haven't reviewed because I get sidetracked! ;-)

      You're OK with me saying that the Good Incense Patchouli is made by DBS? I think that Damodaras make the sort of incense that I like. I think that was a great discovery.

      And you sell Good Incense at a lower price than Bhagwan? There's sure to be some bargains if so.

      I can't see the Good Incense on your website - do you use a separate website for Good incense?

      Delete
    2. Yes, we are selling Good Incense range for EUR 2.50 - EUR 2.95 per 15g and I would like to keep prices in that range or lower. www.good-incense.com is our sister website, I will not mix Bhagwan with GI as GI is more experimental platform where I am not afraid to list new and unusual incense, like the ones from DBS or unknown companies from Tamil Nadu, who make their incense in their own unique way.

      Delete
    3. Good Incense sounds very exciting. I like that you are using unknown incense houses, and selling at a competitive price for interesting incense. I have been impressed with DBS.

      Delete

Please leave a comment: