Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 2 January 2022

(HMS) Windrose Triloka Original Herbal Incense Hawaiian High

 


Another incense from America via the very decent ExoticIncense shop. I thought this was an American incense, but it is one of those arrangements that are so popular, where a Western company imports Indian incense under their own brand name. We don't know exactly who makes this incense, or whereabouts in India. The company says: "handmade in India by our fair trade cottage industry partners, with over 150 years of family tradition."  That would put the formation of the Indian incense company back into the 1860s,  which is a claim made by Haridas Madhavdas Sugandi (known in the West as Haridas Madhavdas & Sons), who sell incense under the Primo brand, and are also resold by importers Pure-Incense, Happy HariGoluka, and others. I can't think at the moment of another company who make the same claim. So this is likely to be a Madhavdas incense.  Anyway.  Other than the date fitting Madhavdas, we don't actually know who makes this, nor what part of India they are in. The wording suggests that there is more than one company involved. There is no clarity regarding the relationship - who is responsible for the scent profile, for example? The Indian makers, or the American distributors? Are these sticks unique to Windrose, or are other distributors selling the very same, but under different brand names? I have grown uncomfortable with these secret business games. I understand them, but they don't serve well the customers, nor the manufacturers in their Indian "cottages" (how quaint a Western word). I like honesty, clarity, and transparency as much as is possible and ethical. I like to know where my products come from, and who makes them. And I'd prefer to have my relationship with the manufacturers and not the middle man. But, needs must, and there are, and have been, some notable distributors who have sought out quality manufacturers and brought their products to our attention, while keeping the producers a secret for business reasons. And quite possibly we would not have had these incenses if it were not for distributors willing to take a risk and invest in an unknown product that only they have faith in. It's a grey, tricky area. My absolute preference is to know the source as I think that is the ethical thing, but I understand the business need for not revealing the source. Anyway, enough of that ramble, on with the incense.....

It is described a "herbal" incense, which means it is a masala or natural incense-  that is, the scents are comprised of natural ingredients. It is hand rolled on a stick dyed pink. Quite a firm paste and lower budget - no masala dust on the outside. There is an attractive scent on the stick. It is more complex and modern than an essential oil. It smells just like a perfumed stick. And that's odd, as this is a "herbal" incense, and it follows "150 years of family tradition", and is likely made by the Madhavdas company who, as far as I'm aware, don't make perfumed incense. Perhaps the blend of essential oils  is confusing my senses. Hmm. Vanilla. Coconut. Some candi sweetness. Something vaguely spicy. It's an attractive scent, though doesn't quite carry me away. Some leather. Yeah, I keep sniffing at it the way you do when you find something interesting. Flowers. Faint pine. There's a distinct air/car freshener feel about it al. Not quite natural or essential. 

I've burned this quite a few times over the past week or two. I like it. It's been my go to incense. I light it in the kitchen to accompany me when I cook. I light it in the morning to freshen and waken up the house. I light it when someone's coming round, to create a pleasing atmosphere. I light it in my study when I am working. The pack has almost gone. 

The scent on the stick is vanilla and coconut, very sweet and creamy, with floral touches - a moment of rose petal, and sandalwood and beeswax and white chocolate, and a dozen other scents mingling together, never clashing, just adding their voice to the choir. Very impressive; unfortunately the scent on the burn lets it down. The burn is quieter, such that it is barely apparent, and the scent is muddled with the flammable materials so is smoky rather than distinct and beautiful. However, it does make an impression on the room, and is more than pleasant enough to intrigue the senses. 

All in all this is a very decent incense. If the scent on the burn matched the scent on  the stick this would be world class, but even so, as it is, it is good enough to be put in my Decent Stuff  box. 


Date: Jan 2020 Score: 36

***

Haridas Madhavdas Sugandhi

Incense by Country


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, and for the pictures. Interesting. I have checked their website, and they do make a claim of long existence as you say. Hmmm.

    Vithaldas Narayandas & Sons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you guys know if there is any link to Haridas Madhavdas in India? I would love to buy direct from them or one of their sellers there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vithaldas Narayandas & Sons sell under the name Vinasons. I didn't know that until I went on their site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I was aware of Vithaldas Narayandas before KievSufi mentioned them. They appear to only distribute domestically, but I am interested in them due, like Haridas Madhavdas, to their long history and that they are also from Pune, so I'm exploring how to get hold of some of their incense. Especially if they are, as KievSufi suspects, the makers behind this Windrose incense rather than Haridas.

      Delete
  4. Absolute Bliss sells some of the Vinasons line. Vinasons told me today that they ship to the UK with DHL. Unfortunately, all DHL is red flagged for customs duty, 30%++. That leaves me out.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: