Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 30 January 2022

(Wonder Incense) New Moon Aromas Shree Musk Premium Masala Incense

 


I've been seeing New Moon Aromas around a fair bit recently. I first encountered them in 2019, and they now seem well established in the UK. There's not much info on them, and I have written to Wonder Incense, who import them into the UK, for information. My speculation is that they are made for Wonder Imports, as it's Wonder's name on the New Moon website.  [Navan Shah from
Wonder Incense has been in touch to tell me they have their own manufacturing premises in India.]

This incense falls into a type of incense which I have been burning a lot these past few days (purely by chance). A well made masala type incense which has been enhanced with perfume, but is not quite a flora/fluxo/durbar (a rich masala incense infused with essential oils). I am sort of loosely grouping them as perfumed masalas. They work for me. They feel quite light and modern, but with the depth and richness of the Indian masala tradition. They are available in the UK from JustAromatherapy for £1.25, and in Oz from CarpeDiem for $2.50. I'm not sure if they are available in other countries yet. 

This is a machine made wood paste masala. It is quite firm and dry on the stick, which looks like a machine cut bamboo stick. The scent on the stick is quite a volatile like perfume with crisp fresh notes of a room freshener. Pine, some citrus, some floral. Quite light, and not really musk related. Shree is a Hindu word for wealth or richness, so the notion of the name would be that this is a resplendent musk aroma. I'm not getting that from the sticks I have burned. a real sense of musk. On the burn the aroma is like that of a stale perfume. It's a bit blurry , but hovers around old rose and moth balls, perhaps a touch of benzoin. It's not my thing at all. I like the other New Moon incenses, but I'm not getting on with this one. I shall revisit the others at some point as I recall I was quite impressed with them as decent top end everyday masalas. But this one is not for me - too perfumed. 


Date: Jan 2022   Score: 25 
***

New Moon Aromas


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: