Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Monday 7 February 2022

Hari Darshan Native Soul Holy Smoke

 

Incense sample sent to me by UK shop ScentedAndMore. It's a professional quality everyday masala. It is distributed by Green Tree, though made by Hari Darshan who are taking imagery from the sacred rituals of some of the indigenous people of North America. Each to their own, but I kinda struggle with the concept of an Indian company making an incense which is promoted with imagery sacred to a somewhat abused indigenous people of North America, which is then sold to affluent people in the West. I suppose we can celebrate the global village in this, and the bringing together of the peoples of the world, but there's also a part of this that kind of makes me uncomfortable. If you want Native American incense, you can get that from a Native American incense company, such as  Sage Spirit.



Anyway, it is what it is.  The stick is a fragrant charcoal paste hand-rolled onto a machine-cut and pink dyed bamboo splint, then rolled in a finishing powder. It has been impregnated with a solvent perfume. There is a spicy scent on the stick, warm, woody, pleasant, slightly prickly with solvent. 

The burn is satisfactory. It burns slowly and evenly with not too much smoke, and has an attractive spicy wood scent that is similar to the scent on the stick, but without the solvent edge. It is very likeable, without being adorable. It is quietly sombre and gently authoritative - quite an old world manly scent. It is a scent that creates confidence and reassurance.

This is not a scent I'm going to rush out and buy; but I do like it, and it is well made by people who know what they're doing. What keeps it on the ground for me is that it lacks charm - lacks a sense of personality and idiosyncrasy. It feels corporate - professional, but not personal.  And is not rich, or sweet, or musky or profound - things I love in incense. It simply doesn't have the qualities that get me engaged and excited. However, as said, it is a decent job. And the same company's Maharani Dream I eventually liked, though not at first. It may be that I will return to this and find there are subtleties I have missed on this review. 


Date: Feb 2022    Score: 28 
***
Hari Darshan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: