Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 25 June 2023

Gokula Meditation Natural Ayurvedic Incense Dammar

 


This is a Dammar incense in Gokula's Meditation range - a set of  Natural Ayurvedic Incense. Dammar gum is a tree resin (like Frankincense), which is extracted from various rainforest trees. This is, as far as I'm aware, the first time I have burned a dammar incense. In the Malayan language, dammar means light, and Thomas Kinkele says that dammar is a light incense in which the "bright fresh/fine to citrus fragrance works like a ray of light" to clarify confused mental states, and to "bring the gift of clairvoyance". 

The sticks are crudely but generously hand rolled on plain bamboo splints. The paste is dry and powdery. The scent on the stick is light and gentle with clean, citric notes and touches of petrol and rubber which add interest. 

They burn at a steady rate, giving off a warm, organic scent, quite earthy, woody, herby. It's fairly dry, almost raspy, and reminds me of Tibetan incense. It's OK, but not really my thing. I prefer my incense to be richer, sweeter, and/or more interesting. 

I don't know where Mark from Gokula sources this Ayurvedic incense; there are plenty of places in the UK and USA and other countries which sell unbranded or home-branded natural Ayurvedic incense, though not many sell Dammar gum ayurvedic incense, and none at the price that Mark sells this.  

It's a decent incense, but not really my thing. If you like Japanese or Tibetan incense, then this may be more up your street. 


Date: June 2023   Score: 26 

***
Gokula-incense


3 comments:

  1. They remind me on Spirit of Vinaiki.
    I reviewed a sampler set containing Dammar last year:
    https://blog.rauchfahne.de/2022/06/08/spirit-of-vinaiki-ayurvedische-raeucherstaebchen-muster-set/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have that same sampler set. Your experience of the Vinaiki Dammar does sound similar to mine with this Gokula Dammar. I'll have a rummage later to see if I can find my sampler, and do a comparison burn.

      Delete
  2. Spirit of Vinaiki have two "Ayurveda" lines, those with single notes and a line with blends.
    https://www.dana-vinaiki.de/category_01_incense_sticks.php
    Looking at the Gokula page, the lineup reads pretty similar with about 5 exceptions.
    The single notes line of SoV has Nard and Nannari; Kailash, Prema and Surya within the blends line. Gokula listing Halmaddi, Real Rose and Jatamansi in return.
    Given how similar the sticks look, I wouldn't be surprised if they are from the same source.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: