Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 25 June 2023

Misbah's Natural Loban Candy Agarbathi Benzoin

 


I've just been burning Koya's Sambrini, and thoroughly enjoying it, so when I glanced down at a box next to my desk and saw this pack of Misbah's Natural Loban on the top, it was clearly calling to me, so I had to set it up. 

Misbah are a new incense company to me, and I've not yet reviewed any, though I have been burning and both enjoying and puzzling over Misbah's Bakhoor for a little while now.  I'll write more about Misbah later. 

Anyway, this is a thick, dry dhoop. The company claim that it is "Chemical Free. Non Toxic". Even so, thick dhoops like this do produce a mighty abundance of smoke, and are very overwhelming, so are best not burned indoors - certainly not unless you're going to open doors and windows. For those who like subtle and delicate incenses, this is really, really not for you. Thick dhoops are always very much in your face. Big, earthy, pungent, monsters. 

Now, I like huge, natural, overwhelming incense, but this is too much for me. This is an incense that is really, really best burned outdoors. Or, if you're going to do a thorough cleansing of the house, then light a couple of these monsters and go out for the day.  The house will be cleansed of all bad vibes, stale scents, flies, fleas, rats, rotten turnips, sleeping dragons, poor intentions, ill-gotten gains, and partners or lodgers who have overstayed their welcome. 

The dhoop gives the appearance of a Tibetan incense - dark, dry, thick paste with flecks of organic material - what appears to be straw and rat droppings. It is mildly sticky to the touch. The dhoops come with their own stand - a solid bamboo stick which goes through a small metal cap sealing off the end.  The scent on the dhoop is healthy, medicinal, fruit, band-aid, mineral, apple, vanilla. Decent, but no more than that. It's pleasant, but not exciting. 

The scent on the burn is more of an experience than a scent- it is quite invasive. Sharp, chalky, churchy, smoky. I have placed it at the far end of the room and have all the doors and windows open. I don't dislike the scent, but it is hard to take indoors. So, I'm now going to put it outside.... 


Phew.....


Date: June 2023   Score:  21 
***





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: