Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Monday 7 March 2022

HEM Anubhuti Natural Incense



 

A HEM natural (or "masala") incense. Anubhuti means "feeling". This is an incense that is sold domestically as well as exported to the West. It is a little thinner than the other HEM masala incense (the Kama Sutra set) that I have been reviewing recently, such as the Myrrh, which appears to be aimed primarily at the West. The fragrant charcoal paste is rolled quite thin, and, on my samples, is quite dry and hard. The predominant aroma on the stick is wood - there's some creamy sandalwood, along with the sharper notes of cedarwood - the scent appears to be mainly carried by an oil or more likely a perfume - there's a slightly sharp volatility about it. It is a pleasant scent, especially if you enjoyed the scent of pencil shavings when sharpening your pencil at school. There's also some waxy notes such as you get with crayons. And while we're at it, there's notes of plasticine as well. This is like being taken back to my childhood, and I am wondering how much these aromas are more in my memory than in reality - that they have simply been triggered by the school association of the aroma of the pencil shavings! Anyway, I am enjoying the scent. 

The scent on the burn is fairly modest. Like the scent on the stick it is quite woody - but it is fairly plain, and slightly dry and harsh. There's halmaddi in here - some warm wool. It's a prickly, dry, woody aroma. Quite modest, but also reasonably pleasant. It's sort of more a workaday scent than something that excites me. But, then, I do tend to favour sweeter, richer scents, or more subtle, gentle scents, or interesting scents, or.... well, something a bit more than just burning wood. This inclines toward Tibetan incense - it has that earthy plant like aroma of burning dried vegetation. Fairly simple and - for me - modestly attractive (though I know some people really enjoy Tibetan style incense). This smells just a bit too much like someone burning dried cow's poo. Well, it's better than that, but it's in that direction... 

For me this is a modest incense, masala or not. I find it a little hot and crude, and not something I will be reaching for to burn in the house. It's better than just a toilet cleaner, but - for me - not by much. I much prefer HEM's Kama Sutra masala incense .   


Date: March 2022   Score: 23

***


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: