Incense In The Wind

Burner Burner - Carhartt jacket incense burner

Thursday 2 May 2024

Gamta It Smells Like Authentic Agarwood

 

I have five samples of Gamta Organic Incense. Can't remember where I got them from - they were in a plastic bag along with some samples from Balaji and Flourish, so highly likely from some internet shop where I had done an order - perhaps Aavyaa

I can't find much information on them as their website, GamtaOrganic.com, has a fault where I can't access it. But they do have a Twitter account, a YouTube account, and a FaceBook account. They are based in Mumbai, and appear to have been founded in 2021. Their marketing focus appears to be that they are making Panchgavya products - which means they utilise cow by-products, such as  milk, urine, dung, ghee, and curd, according to Ayurveda principles. They have at least one video showing incense being made from ingredients such as milk and crushed up cow dung. Well, that video is a marketing video, so we don't see the incense being made on a commercial scale, but I suppose it gives a rough idea of what they do.  I couldn't find any outlets on a casual search. The Indian Amazon says this Agarwood is not currently available


The samples

The  Panchgavya paste has been machine extruded onto a hand cut, plain bamboo splint. The paste is hard but crumbly. There is a mix of the scent of perfume and fragrant ingredients on the stick. The perfume is mild, soapy, floral, and pleasant; the scent of the fragrant ingredients is interesting rather than pleasant - damp, mouldy, earthy, a little pungent, dirty underwear, grassy, herby. The two scents together tend to clash rather than compliment each other - rather like an ill or elderly person trying to cover up body odours with perfume. 

The burn is steady, even, with an attractive ghostly grey swirling smoke column. The scent is moderate, and initially is damp, mouldy, slightly smoky, faintly woody, mildly perfumed - a sort of weak, everyday oudh perfume. It gradually settles and becomes reasonably attractive in a woody, musky, earthy manner. While not a quality or "authentic" agarwood fragrance, it does wander around in that area. Some of the damp, earthy, pungent aromas add interest - the top notes are a curious blend of urine and vague floral. 

On the whole I kinda like this. I'm not overwhelmed by it, but I find it interesting and reasonably attractive with some curious scent notes. 


Date: May 2024   Score: 34
***

Gamta Incense


The best agarwood incense

4 comments:

  1. I have tried 3 Gamta incenses, Sacred Sandal, Saffron Rose, and Holy havan and I loved them, holy havan and saffron rose is my favorite. I got them on a combo pack that is on Amazon. I’m wanting to try the Miracle Majuma incense and it seems you have it, plz let me know how it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you think of the Panchgavya aspects of the incense?

      Delete
    2. I find that the panchagavya aspects of gamta incense is done beautifully, it blends well with the fragrance and enhances it, tried their authentic agarwood sample recently and I liked it. Authentic agarwood is now available in Amazon. In in their single pack. The Holy havan reminded my of a real havan with floral hints. I tried many cow dung and panchgavya incenses like some Gamta incenses, Cycle Gavi Gau dhoop and Cup Sambrani, Vedic vaani vedic agnihotra, Dhenum etc, and I loved all of them.

      Delete
    3. I think it's not showing as available to me in Amazon because of my location.

      Delete

Please leave a comment: