Incense In The Wind

Burner Burner - Carhartt jacket incense burner

Friday 31 May 2024

HEM Everest

 


I've noticed a number of perfumed incenses titled Everest, such as Gokula Everest, and they appear to have a similar scent - cool, herby, aqua, touch of sage and lavender - rather like an old fashioned men's cologne. I looked up information on the Everest scent, and it appears to have been developed by Avon in 1975 as a Fougère style scent. 

This HEM version falls well within the style - the scent on the stick is somewhat chemical and volatile, which fits in with the sort of men's colognes that Avon marketed in the Seventies. It's cool, herby with lavender, touches of rose, aqua certainly, minty, faint chocolate, orange pith. It's OK. Reminds me a little of Brut by Fabergé, which is a crude but classic Fougère scent. I kinda like the idea of Fougère, but the reality is that it's not really my sort of scent - too many heart and head notes, not enough soul. I like wood and musk in my perfumes and incense - as regular readers will know! So incenses with too many top, especially sharp, notes, without enough soul or base notes (especially woody sweet ones) to balance will rarely get me excited. Each to their own. There are no absolutes in scent enjoyment (and it's best to discover yourself what you like without going to websites where you are told what is "good" and what is "bad"), so one person's seduction will be another person's turn off. 

It's a moderately attractive scent on the burn - somewhat less cool and frigid than the scent on the stick, warmer with some sandalwood and patchouli hints, though also some damp smouldering sawdust. It's OK.  

The Carhartt burner shown in the photo was sent to me by Aida of IncenseBurnerHolder.com as a gift. I love the look of it - it was created as a promotional item for Carhartt by the trendy Kuumba incense company, along with some "specially created" incense sticks. I have acquired some of those sticks, and will try them out shortly. Oddly the sticks are meant to be burned upside down, which has been the subject of some discussion as to if this is an appropriate way of burning incense, as when upside down the stick will burn quicker and hotter.  We will be doing tests soon to see if we notice a difference in the aroma of sticks burned at different angles. 


Date: May 2024   Score: 25
***



4 comments:

  1. Steve, blogspot has let you down again, it seems as if there is something missing at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a couple of links in there. I'll find them and restore them.

      Delete
    2. I've put back the links, and (roughly) the comments I made.

      Delete

Please leave a comment: