Incense In The Wind

Burner Burner - Carhartt jacket incense burner

Wednesday 1 May 2024

Fumino Wormwood

  


I initially assumed that the wormwood of the title was another name for agarwood, especially as there is an oudh fragrance here, but all the Fumino scents I've burned have had an oudh quality about them, and wormwood doesn't appear to be an alternative name for agarwood.  This wormwood is likely to be the biblical wormwood, Artemisia absinthium, that has been used as a bittering herb for centuries, and is a key ingredient in absinthe. 

There is such a commonality in fragrance with the Fumino scents I've burned that it seems curious that I like some better than others. And that could be down to all sorts of vagaries which may have as much to do with me and the burning environment as to the incense itself. I will be going through all the Fumino scents again in approx one month to see how I react then. Meanwhile, as with the others, I really like the scent on the stick.  It's perfumed, woody, sweet, honeyed, mild fruit - sweet citric like orange, lightly floral (rose with a hint of jasmine) and herby. It edges toward a male cologne - a sort of everyday, low cost oudh, which is not as negative as it sounds. It's a light, refreshing, pleasant oudh, rather than something heavy, rich, or sexy. 


The poetic blurb on the back


As with the other Fumino, the fragrance experience on the burn is not as appealing as that on the stick; however, this experience is very positive with a decent spread of bottom and top notes, keeping it lively and interesting, and more engaging and pleasant than just a room freshener. Pretty much all that is there on the stick successfully makes its way into the burn, though the top notes, the florals and fruit, are less distinct. It is, however, a gently heady experience - which is always going to work with me, and is warm, woody, sweet, musky, and sensual - which again is going to excite me. There is a buttery, subtle oudh quality which holds stable in the base, while small herby notes play around on top. I like this. 


Date: April 2024   Score: 38
***


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: