Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Thursday 12 October 2023

BIC Sandal Wood

 


I'm getting quite tuned in to this range of budget perfumed-charcoal BIC square packets. They are a decent everyday incense. The quality may not be top end, but they do the job of freshening up a room without any fuss. The amount I like each one will depend more, I think, on how much I like that particular scent than on the quality of the perfume. The previous scent I reviewed was  the Coco, and I'm not a big fan of coconut incense. I rate pretty much all the coconut incenses I've tried at the same low level.  This one, though, is Sandal Wood, and I love sandalwood scents. So I am fonder of this packet than of the others I have tried so far. I don't think that the perfume in this stick is any better than the perfume in the Coco - it's just that I like it more. It is, perhaps, bolder than the others. It does, perhaps, linger longer than the others, and remain on target for longer before leaving the room with a cold ash scent - which is all too common with budget perfumed-charcoal incense. It could be doing these things, or it could be that I am more positively disposed to it because it's a scent I like. 

And now, because I am content with this pleasant sandalwood scent, I am wondering if the whole range is perhaps better than I am scoring it. Well, to be fair, I wondered that last night, when I lit up one of the Passion by Jaycia sticks which we are currently using in the cats' outhouse, and thought about how much more I am enjoying these BIC sticks, though I'm scoring them on average lower than the Passion sticks. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that this is a quality sandalwood incense - it is what it is: a budget room freshener. However, within that defined set of budget or everyday perfumed incense it will have a placing, and I think this is reasonably good for its target market - which includes us, as we use everyday incenses every day to freshen a room, cover a smell, put a distinct, albeit it modest and undemanding, aroma in the air. Indeed, sometimes it is that undemanding aspect of a modern synthetic  perfume that we want now and again. You want a tangerine scent, a baby powder scent, a coconut scent - something precise and defined, then having a selection of modern perfumed incenses will provide that. Light it, forget about it, and go about your business. The room or house will be informed by your chosen scent, and this will tie into your psyche, and you'll be happy. On another occasion, it's the deeper, more profound, more interesting masala incense we want. But it's good to have the choice of a range of incense for each different moment. Regular readers will know - I am something of an advocate for everyday perfumed incense as I think it has a place. And I think that these BIC square packet everyday incenses have a place within that group. OK, perhaps not a high place - but certainly well in there with other mainstream everyday incenses.   

And back to this particular Sandal Wood. Well, yeah, it's OK. I'm not going to rave about it. It is what it is. But it is also kinda decent. Woody, mildly sweet, some floral notes, nips of chocolate. Yeah, it's OK.


Date: Oct 2023  Score: 30 
***


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: