Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Thursday 19 October 2023

(HMS) Gokula Gaura Absolute Hari Leela

 


I've just burned some Bhagwan Incense Hari Leela, which reminded me of this Gaura Absolute Hari Leela that I got from Gokula way back in 2013. Hari Leela is the name associated with a Haridas Madhavda incense that is sold by Pure Incense and  Gokula (now under the name of Bakula Flower at £3.95 for 20 sticks) and was sold by Primo Incense (stock still available from Gokula at £3.95 for 20 sticks). The scent is based on the flower from the bakula tree, and is really quite a fascinating scent. This is the same scent as the Bhagwan Hari Leela, though it is from an older formulation, and is ten years old, so there will be differences. The sticks are the same length and appearance, though this bamboo splint has been manually cut rather than machine cut (machine cut is better, as you get a smooth and consistent finish, easier for rolling, and handling, and the sticks are sure to fit into holders - this vintage stick had to be cut to make it fit my Mexican skull holder). There are subtle differences in the scent - this one has more coconut and less vanilla; is less sweet, and more rounded, is darker, more musky, less floral, is closer to patchouli than rose. It is more my sort of incense, though is curiously less exciting, and less mysterious. I feel I understand and am more familiar with this incense than the Bhagwan, which - for me - makes it more comfortable, but less interesting. In the end, I'm not sure which one I like the most, and I think I like them the same, but for different reasons. The Bhagwan is fresh and exciting. This is rounded and mature. Both are great incenses due to the use of that fascinating flower. 


Date: Oct 2023 Score: 44
***


Gokula-incense



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: