Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Thursday 12 October 2023

BIC Almíscar (Musk)

 


I've been enjoying this quick sweep through these eight samples of BIC square pack perfume-dipped charcoal sticks. The perfumes in these everyday perfumed-charcoal sticks are all synthetic, but are on target and acceptable and pleasant - though the Jasmim is a bit variable. My enjoyment of them depends on my enjoyment of the scent. The everyday quality is already taken for granted. So I'm approaching these sticks for what they are rather than what they are not. They are basic room fresheners. They are not intended for meditation or aesthetic study. But, it's each to their own, and do with them as you wish. 

As this is Musk, and I like musk, I am predisposed to like it. Especially as all musk incense is fabricated anyway. Natural incense may use the musk mallow plant, but most incenses, including masala, will use a chemical musk perfume. So, I am predisposed to like it, but I'm not actually enamoured by it. Yes, there is the sense of musk, but as with BIC's Egyptian Magic, which seems to be musk based, this is a bit too chalky and synthetic to be that pleasurable. I kinda miss the warm, sensual aspects that are, for me, the heart of a musk. This is quite light, quite mineral - lacking in the earthy sweet warmth I want from a musk. Would I have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been called a musk? Probably. We can't help the emotional negativity associated with disappointment. We can intellectually deal with it, but it is still there emotionally. Emotions are powerful, and difficult to control. 

This is an OK scent which has much appeal - it is warm, moderately sweet, and kinda old fashioned, and has musk aspects, though kinda falls a little short of being a proper job musk. I like it, though, and could become quite fond of it. 


Date: Oct 2023   Score: 28 
***



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: