Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 25 February 2024

Milo's Temple Coconut

 


At the start of last year (2023) I bought a bunch of Milo's Temple branded incense from UK importer Craig, and I do intend to sit down with them and with Ramakrishna's Natural Handmade Incense as well as Shekhar's Natural Handmade Incense, as they all come from the Mapusa Municipal Market in Goa, the same original source as Happy Hari and Absolute Bliss - though Paul discovered that Rama was getting his incense from other sources, including Mumbai. I thought it might be fun to do some kind of comparison to see if there is any similarity. But I'm not going to do that yet, I have plenty of other stuff I want to do first, including finally finishing off the samples I got from Gokula in 2013 (yes, that's how far back my backlog stretches), and then exploring a bit further Pure Incense, the UK importer who uses the same source as Gokula: Haridas Madhavdas Sugandhi (HMS) of Pune, who supplies a number of UK and American importers, such as Temple of Incense, Bhagwan, and Prasad Gifts; and was also a source for Happy Hari. (It all goes round in circles doesn't it?) 

Anyway, I just grabbed this packet as I was looking for something different as I took a break from Gokula and HMS. I think this was the first Milo's Temple I burned last year, and I recall now that I was struck then by how rough the sticks looked, how lovely the scent was on the stick, and how some nasty fumes came off when burned. I think the mix went wrong on this one. The sticks look really rough and weird - very bubbly with off lumps and cracks and pieces flaking off. There is a chemical whiff on the sticks along with the very delightful coconut. The burn is hugely inconsistent - sometimes, sweet and divine, other times rather smoky and fumy, and sometimes quite ugly (especially toward the end where it becomes quite foul indeed).   

I can't give this a decent score. I have looked back, and I did report to Craig that there were problems with the Coconut, but it appears he didn't respond.  I will review another Milo's Temple before returning to Gokula and Pure's HMS sticks, as I don't want to have my only review of Milo's Temple to be a negative one. 


Date: Feb 2024   Score: 17
***

Coconut incense


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: