Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Monday 26 February 2024

SAC Camphor & Rock Salt Incense Sticks

 


Rough and ready everyday budget square pack synthetic-perfumed sticks from SAC, who also trade as GR International. I like the idea of the fragrance combination - and I'm curious about the notion of having salt as a fragrance ingredient. Salt is a flavour compound rather than an aroma compound, and doesn't appear to trigger an olfactory response - though rock salt may contain chlorine, which can be released when the salt is warmed up. On its own chlorine is not an attractive scent, but in combination with other factors, can have a certain pungency reminiscent of the sea. And I swear I can smell the salt on chips when vinegar is also applied, but I think that is just a romantic construction in my head. For me this stick smells of camphor - slightly floral, quite earthy and woody, warm and sweaty sexy. There's old wool and honey. Touches of violets. It's nice. There's pine and sandalwood here as well, so I assume one of the synthetics used is alpha-Pinene.

Though a rough looking perfume-dipped stick, and aimed at the everyday budget market, I find this warm and attractive. Nothing special, but a stick I'd be happy to burn casually in the house as a warm room-freshener. Yeah. This is OK. 


Date: Feb 2024   Score: 28
***



3 comments:

  1. I remember a r/Incense post from about two years ago, if salt has a scent.
    The topic is quite controversial, it seems. :)
    For me, it does have a scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I love salt. I have well over ten different types of salt in the house at the moment - my two favourites are Persian Blue Salt, and a gorgeous sea salt I picked up in Carcassonne last year. The French sea salt is almost gone now - I am saving the last few crumbs because I just don't want to finish it!

      Delete

Please leave a comment: