Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 25 February 2024

Ramakrishna's Natural Handmade Incense Sticks Sandalwood

 


There's a touch of bubblegum and cedarwood in the scent on the stick. And a minty volatility which is quite pleasant, but sort of out of place with my expectations of a sandalwood incense. The sticks are a standard Indian masala incense in terms of size, appearance, and aroma. 6 inches of hand-rolled masala paste on an 8 inch machine-cut plain bamboo splint. The paste is soft and crumbly, and covered in a soft brown melnoorva powder. I like the scent on the stick, though it's a little too candy sweet for my taste, and a little too volatile for comfort.

The fragrance on the burn is attractive, if a little simple. There's the warm brown tones of a decently constructed sandalwood scent with little nips of cedarwood to keep it fresh. Thankfully the burn scent doesn't have the bubblegum sweetness of the stick, so is more enjoyable. There's not a lot to say here, as the fragrance doesn't do much - there's little in the way of contrasts or depths or richness. It's an OK sandalwood scent, pleasant, warm, and reasonably engaging, and I'll give it a decent score, but it's not exciting me.  It could be that I've burned too much incense today, and this stick has come not long after a couple of heavyweight agarwoods - Damodaras Bhagwandas Sugandhi Agarwood and Temple of Incense Oudh. Hmm - I'm coming round to it more and more. The sweetness on the stick is starting to make itself felt in the scent on the burn, so is now adding the richness, depth, and contrast I was missing. Yes - it is seducing me..... I'll come back to this incense when I'm feeling fresher, and see what I make of it then, as I think I might be under-appreciating it. 


Date: Feb 2024   Score: 38 
***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: