Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Monday 19 February 2024

Om Sai's Trishala Heena Agarbatti

 


Chemical volatility is a little off-putting, but beyond that there is a compelling scent melding sweetness and earthiness in an unusual and compelling manner.  Heena is an alternative spelling of henna, the red dye used on body decoration. Henna has a mild scent of earth, cloves, or green tea, which divides opinion. It is occasionally used as an incense fragrance, though the only example I can recall burning is Aargee Maharani Heena - a masala incense I really liked. 

And I like this. The paint stripper aroma on the stick is not attractive, and the black smoke on lighting is concerning (black smoke is considered harmful and likely to be derived from petroleum and plastics rather than plants), but the scent itself, though either synthetic or cut with DEP, is compelling. It is a mysterious, alluring scent - sweet, green, delicate, floral, earthy, perfumed; mostly light, but with occasional dark, spicy spots that prevent it becoming cloying or monotonous. I think this is another example of how, for me at least, it is the scent that is primary. While I certainly derive pleasure from knowing an incense is made by a charitable company who look after their workers, and the packaging is charming, and the ingredients are all natural, the main element of my enjoyment is the scent itself. Divorce all other considerations - burn the incense blind, and it all comes down to the scent. Having said that, this is not the best example of a heena fragrance that I have encountered  - that would be the  Aargee Maharani Heena I mentioned above; but it is still a scent I enjoy and am happy to burn in the house. 


Date: Feb 2024   Score:  36 

4 comments:

  1. Hello! I've been following your blog for quite a while (first comment!). I really appreciate your reviews, your genuine curiosity and your insights. I just wanted to share something I've learned... my love of incense began as a child with an accidental exposure to an old pack of sticks labeled "Hina". After years of searching for a fragrance I could never rightly describe, I discovered that "Hina" means "Heena" means "Henna". Since then I've searched out every variation of the fragrance that I can find. I mention it because your recent review of "Rasbihari Lal Super Musk Hina" is related. Also, Koya's Nirvana (which I discovered thanks to your review!) has a strong component of Heena/Hina. I emailed them to confirm my suspicion, and they did. Hope you don't mind me attempting to connect some of these dots. I just enjoy the journey, as I believe you must also! For what it's worth, the original "Hina" incense that hooked me is still made by Shah Sugandhi Works in Pune. Many thanks for what you do and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Useful comments there, which I will follow.

      Yes, it seems that henna and hina both relate to the Henna tree. I'd previously only known henna as a red dye and hair conditioner. I hadn't known it could also be a fragrance. And it was only when I reviewed the Rasbihari Lal that I became aware that it has also been used as a musk substitute.

      Delete
  2. I'm noting Shah Sugandhi Works as an incense house to try. Though it's highly unlikely I will get around to them this year, as I really need to tackle my back log before getting any more new incense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get back to Koya's Nirvana and give it another whirl. I love that incense. I'll be sure to look out for any henna/musk notes. Thanks for that info.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: