Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Monday 26 February 2024

Damodaras Bhagwandas Sugandhi Special Chandan

 


This stick from Damodaras Bhagwandas Sugandhi (DBS) of Pune, neighbours of Haridas Madhavdas Sugandhi (HMS) and Vinasons, was sent to me by Eugene of incense importer Bhagwan Incense when he was doing research for his business, and had just visited Pune.

This is the company's Special Chandan from their Premium range. It sells domestically at 95 Rupees for 20g. It is a fairly dry, assertive, and prickly incense with vanilla in the mix, suggestive of using vanilla crystals as a plasticiser to strengthen and lengthen the scent, though the prickly aspect puts me in mind also of halmaddi, which is used for the same purpose, so I'm uncertain. 

There is a pleasant soapy perfume on the stick, mildly floral, with notes of lotus, though with a good base of sandalwood touched with a hint of cedarwood. Attractive.   I find the scent on the burn to be warmer than that on the stick, though less expansive. It kinda grows on me as I burn it, but I've come to this after Milo's Temple Maha Milo, which is a hard act to follow, so it's not surprising that it slightly underwhelms initially, and then becomes more appealing as I settle into the mood of this particular incense.  Given my experience of the DBS Agarwood, which I feel is divine, I will put this aside to return to later, to see how I feel on a different day. 


Date: Feb 2024   Score: 30 
***
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: