Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Tuesday 20 February 2024

Gokula Ananda Flora Fluxo

 


Digging deep into my backlog, this is one of a batch of samples from Gokula I got way back in 2013! The name is interesting -  Ananda Flora Fluxo. There is a Anand Flora Fluxo, which looks similar to this stick, which was sold by Gokula, but is out of stock, and which I have raved about for years under the name Anand Mayur Flora Fluxo Bathi  - but that is also not currently available from the usual sources in the UK. The Mayur Agarbatti Company appear to have been taken over by Anand, who sell the Flora Fluxo still with the Mayur brand name. Gokula, meanwhile, sell a Flora Fluxo under their own brand name, which also looks similar. How any of all this relates to each other, I don't know. And I don't know if this Ananda stick is the same as the Mayur stick or the Gokula stick, or if the Ananda in the name is a reference to Ä€nanda, one of Buddha's disciplines, but I do know it's a stick I like, but not quite as much as the Anand Flora Fluxo. 

It's a moist masala, quite heavy and rich with fragrant oils in the style of 
Sri Sai Flora Fluxo, and other such Floras. The end of the bamboo splint is dyed pink, much as the Anand and the Gokula Flora Fluxos are. The scent on the stick is floral, sweet, and musky - the sort of fragrance I like, and somewhat reminiscent of the Anand Mayur.  There isn't black smoke on lighting - the flame is low, and when blown out the stick settles into a steady burn with a decent amount of swirling grey smoke; but there is a note of plastic in the burn. There's also some prickly raw wool, which I tend to associate with halmaddi. The main scent though, is a melange of woods and florals. Quite dry, which holds back the enthusiasm for me, but solid enough. The fragrance which remains in the room is a cleansing, bright, woody "masala incense" scent. Very likeable. 

On the whole this is a decent incense, though just a bit too dry and dull to get me enthusiastic. If this is the same stick as Anand Mayur, my less enthusiastic response could be due to the age of the stick, a poor batch, a reformulation, or my mood. Hey ho.  


Date: Feb 2024   Score: 34 
***

Gokula-incense

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: