Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 21 January 2024

The Mother's India Fragrances Oudh

 


A good while ago I bought a bunch of Mother's incense as they had a positive reputation. The sticks are made in the same Sri Aurobindo Ashram in Pondicherry, India as Cottage Industries.  The ashram's leader, Mirra Alfassa, is known as The Mother - the brand is named after her. They are imported into the UK by Greater Goods, a couple based in Somerset, UK. Anyway, I didn't hugely get on with them and put them aside. This packet has just turned up in an old box which also contained  some Satya and Goloka from several years ago. I've just burned one stick and was impressed that it burned for nearly two hours! The experience was pleasant, though not profound, and mostly it burned away without calling attention to itself. Anyway, here we go with a more considered burn. 

The sticks are a little longer than standard - 9 inches rather the usual 8 inches for a masala. The paste is also longer at approx 7 1/2 inches. The scent on the stick is gentle, floral, light, sweet, some wood, a touch of fresh sweat, some talc (playful soft blossoms - jasmine, young wild rose, lily). It's gentle and pleasant. The scent on the burn conveys much of what is on the stick, though in a muted fashion. My original experiences with The Mother's was that they were quite dry and harsh, and they irritated my nose, eyes, and throat. This I am finding to be a little more gentle. Though, as I am paying more attention to this burn (though not wafting the smoke toward me - yet) I am starting to notice the little prickles of irritation, and that the incense is a little dry - or at least, dryer than is my preference. It might be interesting to get a bunch of Ponicherry incenses together for a burn off - notes the similarities and differences. This is somewhat reminding me of Cottage. 

I'm not getting much in the way of Oudh. And the irritation is now starting to build up, so I won't be doing any wafting!  I don't think Pondicherry is for me.....


3 comments:

  1. Mother's make extensive use of halmaddi in their 'The Mother's India Fragrances' line, its so unfortunate you have a strong negative reaction to it Steve. From experience I can say they use far less of it in their 'The Mothers Fragrances' line, and while this is their more budget offering there are still some good fragrances within it. Perhaps something to look into for your intended burn-off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much do you know about Mother's, Chris? The incense is imported by a couple in Somerset who started their Greater Goods business in the year 2000. The Mother's is another of the incense brands associated with the ashram in Pondicherry. But that brand appears to have been created in 1975.
      There seems little difference between The Mother's regular range and Auroshikha. Both use marbled paper as well.
      Do you know the relationship between Greater Goods and the Mother's Fragrances?

      Delete
  2. Hi Steve, I'm not aware of any relationship between Auroshikha and the Mother's brand, and from the incense I've burned from both I would say that the Mothers Fragrances are a step up from Auroshikha. It is worth noting that Mother's Incense is a little less bold than most Indian Incense and that is also true of their budget line although some are stronger than others.

    If I remember correctly the first time I encountered Mother's India was at Afflecks palace in Manchester during the mid 80's, Auroshikha appeared few years later and was widely available by the early 90's. I'm not sure who was importing Mother's incense in those earlier days but it was always found at fair trade promoting retailers and craft markets.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: